Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A day at Amani

Hey!  I though you all might be interested in what my day looks like here at Amani, so here you go:

I wake up usually between 7 and 7:30, eat breakfast, and then go downstairs with the kids at about 8:00, where  I help clean up from breakfast and get the kids dressed and make sure everyone brushes their teeth.
At  8:30 we start preschool.  There are eight kids in the preschool class.  Me and a couple other Aunties teach preschool in the mornings.
10:00 is snack time!  All the kids go get a glass of water and a snack.  After snack time I help clean up, change diapers, and start the 2nd part of the morning.
From 10:30 until Lunch time I hang out with the toddlers.  We play games, sing songs, and play outside if it's not raining.  The preschoolers stay inside and do crafts with a couple of the other Aunties.
Around 12:15 everyone comes in and gets cleaned up for lunch.  They all sit down and one of them will say a prayer (they pray before school and before snack time too)  which usually goes something like this:  "Hands together.  Eyes closed.  De-uhr Jesus, blessa our-a Aunties, blessa our-a food, blessa our-a mommies, blessa our-a vistahs, (visitors) blessa our-a Uncle Tim...."  There a couple here that are adopting two of the kids, and since Mr. Tim is the only uncle visiting right now, the kids always pray for "Uncle Tim" or sometimes "Uncle daddy". 
After everyone is through with lunch, usually around 12:45,  I help get the kids down for a nap.
I eat lunch around 1:15 or 1:30.  After lunch I have a break until 4:00.
At 4:00 we do different things on different days...Some days I have "outings"  where I pick one of the kids and take him/her into town.  We usually hang out at a restaurant called Ozzie's, and eat Chapati or a Cinnamon roll and drink some Fanta. Other days we do outside activities, or I help with laundry. 
6:15 is dinner time.  Three days a week I help with bed time, in which case I would stay downstairs with the kids until 7:00, and help get them in bed.  If I am not helping with bed time, then at about 6:15 I go back upstairs and help the other volunteers with our dinner. 
On Saturdays the volunteers do a project, like cleaning out closets or organizing the preschool supplies.  We have off Saturday afternoon and Sunday.  I go to church with the other volunteers on Sunday morning, and we have bible study on Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment