Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hello from Uganda!

Hi everyone!  It is Saturday so I have now been in Uganda for 2 1/2 days.  I have today off, and because of the time difference, none of my family is on facebook right now to chat with me. :(  So I decided to blog instead.  I guess I will start with a list of some of the things I have done since coming to Uganda-

1. In Uganda you drive on the left side of the road, but only when you want to.  When George and Christie picked me up from the airport,  George drove us back to Bugabo for the night.  I couldn't quite figure out why he used his blinker so much.  He said that in Uganda, you use you blinker when you are "not sure".  I am not sure what that means, exactly.
2.  When we got to Christie's house it was dark, so I didn't see much of the village,  and we went to bed soon after we got there.  Woke up the next morning to a beautiful African sunrise.
3. George drove me and Jessie the "back way"  to Jinja the next morning.  Which basically meant that half the kids we passed in the small villages had never seen a Mzungu (white person) before.  I waved to just about everyone. It was so fun to have the kids wave back and yell "Mzungu!! Mzungu!!" 
4.  Arrived at Amani about 10am on Thursday.  Helene (the volunteer coordinator)  took me and Jessie into town so that we could exchange money. 
5.  Found out Thursday afternoon that my sweet little brother had given me a stomach bug...So I spent Thursday afternoon and most of Friday in bed. 
6.  By Friday evening, after sleeping most of the day, I was feeling much better.  One of the other volunteers cooked supper, and then Helene surprised me with a Birthday cake!  :)

So...I guess that is all...I plan on writing a more in depth post in the near future...For now I just wanted to give you all a quick update.  


Much love from Africa,
Morgan

2 comments:

  1. I find it soooo funny that instead of picking up a bug after arriving in Africa like most people I know do, you brought one with you. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morgan!
    So excited that you made it safely to Uganda and that you got to meet Christie and George!
    So sorry that you got sick.
    Hope everything goes smoothly.
    Can't wait for another blog post.
    Praying for you and Jessie.
    Love in Christ,
    Rosemary Perry

    ReplyDelete